Saturday, July 21, 2007

Adho Mukha Svanasana


Alright alright, I know those aren't exactly proper yoga clothes. I was merely demonstrating one of my favourite yoga poses, the 'Adho Mukha Svanasana' or better know as 'Downward Facing Dog' or some say 'Mountain Pose'. When you're doing this pose, it's like doing an inverted V-shape.See the inverted V-shape in the photo? Ok ok, so my stance ain't exactly perfect, I haven't warmed up maaaarrrr...! This is a demo, ok! A demo! Blek!!!

'Adho Mukha Svanasana' is one of the poses in 'Sun Salutation'. You can also do it on its own, as an asana pose. Normally when I'm doing this pose, my face will be red, as I can feel my whole body warming up and the blood racing through my veins, haha! Then again, my face easily turns red :P

'Adho Mukha Svanasana' is quite simple to do. You can view the instructions here to do this pose at home. Remember, always do some warm-ups (like some simple stretching) before doing yoga or any form of exercise ok?

This pose is good to stretch your hamstrings, shoulders and also helps to strengthen your arms. When I first started learning yoga, this pose was quite a challenge for me, as I couldn't press my heels down on the floor! I could only stand on my toes! But with constant practise and guidance, the day I could actually press my heels down firmly on the floor, I was beaming! Whee! I could touch the floor~

0 comments: