Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Confucius The Movie

Image taken from here.

I'm not one to study history, let alone ancient Chinese history. China's history is sooooo complex, and just too long for someone like me to read! :P Coupled the fact that I'm English educated, just reading the pinyin leaves me bewildered! I'll leave the history to the experts, although I do occasionally like to read about a little bit more about history, just to get a better idea of the events which have unfolded.

The movie Confucius (孔子) stars Chow Yun-Fatt as the lead role. Confucius existed about 3 centuries before Shih Huang Ti, the 1st emperor of China. So you can imagine the state of chaos Confucius was living in. War fare was common, poverty was a norm, and power struggle was the usual past time amongst the many lords.

Confucius was a teacher, a philosopher, a thinker. As Wikipedia puts it,
His philosophy emphasized personal and governmental morality, correctness of social relationships, justice and sincerity.
If one has good morals, good relationships and good virtue, one can lead by example and not rely on lineage nor connections. One would not need power no authority to live in this world. OK, I've never studied about Confucianism so I don't really know much about his teachings (so sue me, blek!). But what I do understand from his teachings are the very basic values of being a good human being.

And just like most teachers, you have your loyal disciples and your critics. Goes to show even in the olden days, you can't please everyone.

Chow Yun-Fatt portrayed the lead character very very well. Such a noble character~ Good to have you back, Fat-Korr! Regain your reputation as an actor! A GOOD ACTOR! Don't go back to Hollywood anymore! Hollywood just wants to sucker you into their web of deception! They've been giving you B-grade movies man!!! Come back to Hong Kong/China and make your movies here!

The movie left me feeling a little bad about myself. How sometimes I lose my temper so quickly and say harsh things. How sometimes my actions and thoughts may not be so commendable. I think as a human being, we're all guilty one way or another.

0 comments: