Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Red Packet

Ang Ang Ang...!

It's that time of the year again. When the singles get extra pocket money, and the married have to part with their pocket money. The infamous Chinese New Year red packet, or better known as angpows, are making their annual appearances and bringing much joy and laughter to little children and individuals that have yet to tie the knot.

According the Wikipedia, the angpow is mainly presented at social and family gatherings such as weddings or on holidays such as the Lunar New Year. The red colour of the envelope symbolizes good luck and is supposed to ward off evil spirits. Of course these days, not all angpows are red in colour. Some are pink, some are bright yellow and some are gold, though majority would still stick to the auspicious red colour.

The amount inside the angpow can vary, and most of the time immediate family members would usually get a more generous amount.

Angpows are also presented during Chinese wedding dinners, as a means to "pay for your share of the meal".

The practise is that if you're married, it's customary to give angpows to those that have yet to tie the knot and also to children. It's more of a tradition thingy, although in some cases, I have seen how some parents actually go all out to make sure their kids get their share of red packet.

I remember during my childhood days, I would collect all my angpows during the entire festive season and at the end of CNY, only open them on the 15th lunar day (the last day of CNY). My mum had cultivated the habit of saving our CNY stash into the bank, hence my sis and I never spent any of the money collected from CNY.

Of course these days, I don't save the CNY money, but instead, distribute my "wealth" now LOL!

2 comments:

Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and family

I wonder traditionally, if a person is divorce will still need to give angpow?

@littlelamb err, dunno bor :P up to the person kua.