Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Preparations
It's important to make preparations for most things. That way, you know what to expect, what to anticipate, and be a little more at ease also.

In the past, I've been through interviews where the potential employer would ask if I knew what their nature of business was. The first few times, I didn't do my research. But over the years I learnt that it's important to read up about your potential employer. At least you get to know what sort of shit you're gonna step into, right? LOL!

These days when I conduct interviews, I would also ask the same question to the candidates. Some are pretty OK, I can tell they at least took some effort to find out what my company is involved in. But there are also some that are applying blindly, and when I throw the question at them, they merely reply "Oh, I think you guys are doing some web stuff?"

Erm... yea... web stuff... Ooookaaayyy...

What are you applying for again?

It's important that you as a potential candidate, spend a bit of time and effort, to just find out more about the company you've applied a job/internship for. Because an employer would ask you this question, to see if you know what you're getting yourself into, and to gauge roughly how much you know and understand about their nature of business. It would be awkward if your reply revealed that you didn't bother to find out about your potential employer (cos the next question would be: Then why are you applying for a job here, if you don't know what we do?).