Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake

I've recently signed up with Pinterest, and I'm attracted by the many lovely food pictures there :P Pinterest, in my own opinion, is Twitter with pretty pictures. You sign up, create your boards, and start checking out other boards and pin them to your board. One of the many interesting recipes I've discovered from Pinterest is this: Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake
The ingredients are simple, and the cooking method is easy. And one fine night, I decided to try this recipe out, as I had a bad spinach in my fridge and some 1/3 pack of mozzarella in the freezer. I had halved the ingredient amount as it was for a late dinner.

Ingredients:
Half a bag of spinach (leaves only)
4 eggs
1/3 pack of mozzarella (you can use more cheese, it will taste better!)
Some milk or cream
A handful of green peas (optional: I added them to add some crunch to the dish)
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash the spinach leaves and set aside. In a pot, bring water to boil and blanch the green peas and spinach leaves until the leaves are just about wilted. Drain the spinach leaves and green peas and lay them into an over-proof bowl. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the greens. In a bowl, beat the eggs and season with some salt and pepper (or some chicken stock if you wish). Pour some milk or cream for that smooth texture, then pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables. Using a fork, gently stir the mixture so that the egg mixture cheese and vegetables are well combined. Place the dish into the oven at 200°C for about 30 minutes, or until the egg mixtures sets and the cheese is golden brown. Don't bake the dish too long, or else the egg mixture will be a little tough and rubbery. 


Ta-daa! The final outcome, kinda reminds me of a quiche, only without the crust. The taste? Simply and delicious, but the next time I'm making this, I'm going to add some bacon for that added kick!!! And I'll also have to time it better, felt the egg mixture was a wee bit rubbery. Maybe I didn't put enough cheese too, as the original recipe actually has a lot more cheese. And I will also season the egg mixture a little more for that extra flavour.


0 comments: