Saturday, December 29, 2012

Serai @ Paradigm Mall

This is Serai's branch here at Paradigm Mall. I've heard some good reviews about this restaurant, and decided to give it a go. Located at the boulevard area, just above Fa Ying (the modern Thai restaurant), Serai might be easy to miss if it weren't for the signages they had put up to guide patrons to the restaurant.

Serai napkin.
Once inside, I was greeted and shown to my seat next to the glass-to-ceiling windows. I had a good view of the people walking about downstairs, gives me a chance to watch the world go by. A quick scan at the menu, and I discovered that the prices at Serai was a wee bit on the high side for local cuisines i.e RM 16++ for their Nasi Lemak.

The Serai Platter - RM 25++
I decided to try their Serai Platter, which was served with white fragrant rice, ayam goreng berempah (deep fried spiced chicken), oxtail assam pedas, deep friend honey squid and some acar. I actually enjoy this dish a lot, the rice was fragrant, and I absolutely love the squid with its tangy honey. The chicken was a tad dry, and the oxtail was a little too sweet for my liking. Forgive me, but my taste buds for oxtail assam pedas has been spoilt by Hyatt Kota Kinabalu, which I still think serves the most awesome oxtail assam pedas (my opinion anyway).

While eating, I couldn't help but overhear the table next to me and their dispute. One of the patrons had discovered a strand of hair in her bowl and quickly informed the waiter/waitress about it. Seems there were some hesitance at first, and the patron and family members were not pleased with how the service crew handled their complaint. Some of the more senior patrons kept complaining and comparing service, saying something along the line of "good service means you give me a discount immediately and don't question."

I was told the pavlova is good too, but I was too stuffed to try their desserts. Perhaps another time...

1 comments:

Was meant to meet my friends at Paradigm to have gelato at Cielo Dolci (or something like that.. they have nasi lemak flavour LOL) but I couldn't get the image of Serai's nasi kerabu off my mind. Their advertisement paid off! Like you mentioned, it wasn't easy to find and I enjoyed the ambience too. Service was excellent when I was there. I thought gourmet-ish traditional food and pavlova was a strange combination though :P