Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Duck and Chicken Meat Porridge (Congee)

My step mother-inlaw had given us some duck and chicken meat before we drove back to KL, and I has been giving it some thoughts about what to do with all that meat. So one fine day while I was having a conversation with my sister, she suggested to make porridge with it. Brilliant idea kan? And the best thing is I don't have to add salt to the porridge because the meat is already seasoned.


Ingredients:
1 cup rice for two (rinsed)
Water (about 3 big bowls)
Duck and chicken meat (shredded)
Ginger and spring onions for garnishing.

I used my rice cooker to make the porridge. You can also opt to use a deep pot to make your porridge. For some folks, they might use chicken broth to make the porridge sweeter, but in my recipe I only used water. If halfway during the process you find you need more water, just add some hot water into the pot.

Place the rice and water into the rice cooker and hit the "Cook" button. Once the water is boiling, lift the lid slightly so that the water doesn't overflow, as it can damage the rice cooker. Stir occasionally to avoid the base from sticking. Add the meat and let it boil until you get the consistency you desire:

Teo Chew style porridge - watery, the rice hasn't completely broken down.
Cantonese style porridge - thicker, rice has pretty much broken down.

0 comments: