Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cik Kong Ribs

This recipe was in one of my cook books, and I decided to try it as I had some pork in the fridge to use up. Don't ask me what is 'cik kong ribs', it's a direct translation from the Chinese character. All I know is the sauce as tangy, sweet and spicy, and is now one of our favourite pork dishes to make at home. Possibly even one of my best dishes :P


Ingredients:
600 grams spare ribs or pork loin
1 tbsp toasted sesame seed (optional)

Marinade:
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Shiao Hsing wine or rose wine (I used Shiao Hsing)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp water (optional)

Sauce:
2 tbsp black vinegar
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbps worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp chilli sauce
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp water

Combine pork with marinade and mix well. If the marinade is a little thick, add a bit of water. I usually like to marinate meat overnight. When you're ready to fry the meat, leave it at room temperature for about an hour before cooking.

Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown, then set aside. Pour the sauce into a clean pan and bring to boil using medium to high heat. Add in the pork and mix well, making sure all the surface of the meat is coated. Dish up and sprinkle some sesame seed on it. I didn't have sesame seeds at the time of cooking, but it still taste awesome!

0 comments: