Sunday, July 13, 2014

Poached Eggs With Jamie Oliver

Yes it's been a month since my last post, sincere apologies as I have been pre-occupied with many various activities (or just lazy at times heh!). Continuing on my culinary adventure, I've always wanted to learn how to poach eggs, but the problem with most of the recipes I've come across requires using vinegar.

Bleh.

According to various sources, using vinegar helps to hold the egg together. I've tasted poached eggs with vinegar, and no doubt the shape holds really well and you get a very nice looking egg with a lovely runny yolk, the taste of vinegar lingers. I want my eggs to taste like eggs, not vinegar. My solution came to me one fine day, when a friend of mine shared one of Jamie Oliver's FoodTube video on Facebook (yes, Facebook is useful that way, omit the other crap you see 85% of the time).

Jamie Oliver's 'How to poach the perfect egg in 3 ways' video:



I decided to try methods 1 and 2, just to see which one is more effective for me. I'll skip method 3 simply because I do not like the idea of cooking my food in cling wrap or any kind of plastic wrap, bleh.


Ta-da! That's the result of my poached egg! The key is to get a creamy runny egg yolk when making poached eggs when you cut the yolk open. If your yolk doesn't run, then you've cooked it for too long. Follow Jamie's instructions and you won't go wrong!

Instructions:
Boil a pot of water. Once the water is boiling, remove from heat so that the bubbles subside, reduce heat to a gentle simmer (no bubbling). Crack an egg into a small bowl and pour the egg into the simmering water. Time it for 3 minutes, use a ladle to bring the egg out, be careful not to break the yolk. Gently prod the yolk, you should get a bouncy feeling. One thing I noticed is the egg will continue to cook a little after you bring it out, so simmering it in the hot water for 3 minutes is just the right amount of time. Sprinkle some crasuhed black pepper and flavoured salt on the egg and enjoy!

Important tips:
1) Use fresh eggs (reach for the back of the shelves!)
2) Eggs must be room temperature (don't use cold eggs!)
3) Hot simmering water (not boiling!)
4) Cooking the eggs for 3 minutes (any more and you'll lose the runny egg yolk texture)

Good luck!

0 comments: