Friday, January 23, 2015

Sabah Kampung Beef Noodles (Kah Hiong Ngiu Chap) @ Kota Damansara

Ngiu Chap from Sabah Kampung Beef Noodles @ Kota Damansara

If you've been to Kota Kinabalu, you might have had a taste of one of the local favourites before: ngiu chap. Essentially it is a bowl of hearty beef broth with noodles with beef stew, beef tripe, all things beef lah.

We were introduced to this hearty bowl several years ago during one of our many trips to Sabah, and love every mouthful of it. Problem was, we don't have it back in KL. So when I first heard of this place in Damansara Perdana, I consulted a friend living at that area, this which he replied it was only so-so by his standard. Instead, he advised me to go to Kota Damansara to get my fix of ngiu chap.

The location of Sabah Kampung Beef Noodles is not hard to find. It's currently occupying a corner shop lot right opposite PappaRich, easy enough to find. Parking might prove to be more a headache, as Kota Damansara is a crowded area, so be prepared walk a bit. I was around that area on fine Sunday to see my optician, so I suggested to hubby to try this ngiu chap place.
 
This huge bowl of ngiu chap from Sabah Kampung Beef Noodles (Kah Hiang Ngiu Chap) cost RM13.90, and you get a generous bowl of awesomeness. Pick your noodle of choice (lai fun, yellow noodles, kuey teow, mihun), and patiently wait for your bowl to come to you. Generous portions of beef stew, beef tripe, beef slices and some beef balls make this hearty bowl of goodness. The beef broth is flavourful (we didn't feel very thirsty after eating it, so it's a good sign the restaurant probably didn't load on MSG so much), and the beef stew was tender to the bite. And to be honest, I couldn't finish the noodles, I think I left half a portion of noodles in my bowl after eating all that meat!

They also have an option of the same item without the noodles, but that will set you back RM 16.90. How come, you ask? This is because the soup version comes with 11 different beef items, where else this bowl of ngiu chap only had 4 items in it (beef stew, beef tripe, beef slices and beef balls). I prefer the beef balls from Soong Kee SS2, it's much springier than the ones at Sabah Kampung.

So, if you're craving for some good ol' ngiu chap, look no further, now you can get it right here in Petaling Jaya. Don't forget to try the ngiu chap with their Kah Hiong chilli paste, it's really spicy! And I was told Sabah Kampung has a branch in Puchong too.

0 comments: