Monday, March 16, 2015

In Stitches

Updating the blog with a story about stitches.

So hubby was in the kitchen cutting up a watermelon, while I was in the living room - When suddenly, I heard a loud clang, like some metal had just hit the floor. The loud clang was followed by a loud groan of pain. I rushed into the kitchen and discovered my husband was sitting on the floor, holding on to his right foot and was using a kitchen towel to clutch onto his right foot. And there was some blood splatter on the floor.

First response: Get the knife out of the way and get the first aid kit from the cabinet.
Second response: OH SHIT! (this was after seeing the blood on the floor - I didn't faint, I'm fine with blood)

I grabbed more kitchen towels and handed them to hubby, as he sat there applying pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding. He kept reassuring me he was alright (which I'm sure he was, but still!). As I picked up the knife I saw that there was a bit of blood at the tip, which meant as the knife fell, the sharp end probably cut his foot as the knife landed on the floor.

I dropped the knife into the kitchen sink, grabbed more kitchen towels and proceeded to clean the floor. Then I rummaged through the first aid kit to see if there was any anti-septic cream or yellow solution to clean the wound. I did have a cream but it had expired. So I got some yellow solution from my next door neighbour. As we cleaned the wound and applied the solution, I unrolled some gauze and tape and wrapped my husband's leg with them. I wanted to take him to a nearby clinic or maybe the nearby hospital emergency ward, but he said he was OK and there was no need for that (it was rather late at night).

The next morning we woke up early and checked the wound, which was a little swollen around the area of the cut, but showed no signs of infection(which is good news!). I decided to take hubby to our regular GP in Damansara Uptown anyway, to get things checked out. There was no infection, but because the knife did cut a little bit of a small vein on the foot, so doctor needed to stitch things up and also have hubby a tetanus jab just in case (3 stitches). Poor boy was in agony each time the nurse cleaned the wound with the alcohol swab. Stitches will be removed in 10 days time, and he has to go back for a checkup in a few days. He's going to limping for a few days at least, no badminton or sports until full recovery in a couple of weeks.


My wife occasionally comments “I test the sharpness of knives by getting cut with them”, but it really isn't true. I have received a few stitches here and there, so I know the pain your husband went through. It’s good that you disinfected the cut right away because infections can be a big problem, and I hope he is back to playing sports soon.