Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Salmon Teriyaki

We've had the opportunity to buy a whole salmon from the newly opened Village Grocer @ Atria, Damansara Jaya. We couldn't resist the promotional price they were offering (whole fish for RM35.90/kilo), so we whacked one large fish back home. We had requested they fillet the whole fish for us, which makes for easier storage and cooking! I'm going to share a salmon teriyaki recipe, which I learnt from Gordon Ramsay.


Ingredients:
Salmon fillet for two
2cm ginger finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tbps soy sauce
1.5 tbps maple syrup (I didn't have maple syrup with me, so I used honey)
1 tbps mirin
Some olive oil

In a bowl, mix the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, maple syrup/honey and mirin together. This is going to be your teriyaki marinade. Clean and pat dry the salmon fillet, and place them into a deep dish. Pour the marinade over and cover with cling wrap, marinate for up to two hours (or at least 20mins). I had  marinated it overnight, Which got me a little worried as I was worried if the fish might get too salty overnight. It didn't taste salty, but I think the next time I cook this dish, I'll marinate it for 2 hours max to try how the flavour would be like.

In a pan, heat up some olive oil and when the oil is hot enough, place the salmon skin side down onto the pan and sear it. After a few minutes, pour the remaining marinade on top and allow the salmon to cook until it's opaque halfway. Flip it over and cook for a few more minutes until the fish is done. Serve with a hot bowl of rice and some vegetables.

0 comments: